In the early 1950’s, a group of volunteers embraced the mission of introducing international students studying in Miami to their community. They arranged invitations for them to dine with local families and participate in sightseeing excursions. A few years later, the Council for International Visitors of Greater Miami (later the Miami Council for International Visitors – MCIV) was formed when they joined forces with a similar organization, led by Frances L. Wolfson, that was welcoming international dignitaries invited by the U.S. Agency for International Development to Miami.
Over 60 years later, we are still a group of committed individuals who believe in citizen diplomacy – person to person engagement designed to strengthen goodwill ties and foster peaceful relationships around the world. In November 2014 we embraced the name, Global Ties Miami, to better reflect the connections we help forge among people in South Florida and the world over.